Frequently Asked Questions
Getting Started with Circus School
• What class should I start with? Kids should start in the Circus Kids class which take place Mon-Fri at 4pm and 5pm. All new adult students should register for Intro to Aerial before signing up for a Level 1 or open level (no level) classes at our studio. Flying Trapeze students may bypass Intro to Aerial and sign up directly for Flying Trapeze. Please read our class syllabus and consult with your instructor to determine if you are ready for the next level of our studio classes. Instructors retain the right to refuse to teach advanced skills to students until they deem the student ready to perform them safely. If you have trained aerial arts at another studio, please contact our admin to request permission to bypass Intro to Aerial: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Silks Syllabus / Lyra Syllabus
• What do I wear? Leotards and tights or leggings and/or unitards are all excellent options. For those not comfortable in spandex, make sure your outfit is close fitting athletic wear. No loose, baggy clothes or jeans. No zippers or buttons that will get caught on the apparatus and NO JEWELRY. Long hair should be secured back and out of the face.
• Do I need to be strong to do aerial? Aerial arts require core strength, which you will build by taking class. Beginners are always welcome. Classes are taught with progressions so that with any given exercise, there are advanced and beginner versions. We are well adept at accommodating mixed levels, so jump on in! If you have specific medical concerns, speak to your doctor before trying aerial arts.
• Do I need to sign a waiver? Yes. Please sign waiver on the FitDegree App and on paper in our office at your first visit. All minors must have their form signed by a parent or legal guardian. Additional enrollment forms are required for afterschool and camp and can be found on the Kids Page.
• I am 13. Should I take the class for kids or adults? Kids ages 13+ are encouraged to take adult classes, however, we don't mind if you are more comfortable in the Circus Kids class.
• Do I need to bring a water bottle? It’s a good idea!
• Can I bring a friend? Only enrolled students and staff are allowed in the training area. Friends and family must remain in the lobby. Parents may enter the training space to sign-in / sign-out your child. Sometimes parents are allowed in the training area during free play, however, this is at the coach's discretion.
Class Attendance and Memberships
• How do class packages & memberships work? We offer drop-in, 5-class or 10-class packages with a 30-day expiration. Monthly memberships are available with a 3-month minimum contract to start. We do not extend membership or package expirations due to holidays. We will consider extensions based on extreme medical emergencies. Make-up classes for a missed class may be taken within the expiration of current class pass or membership period.
•How do I cancel my membership? Monthly memberships start with a 3-month commitment. If you choose to renew, and later wish to cancel, cancellations must be made within 7 days of your next autopay date.
• How do payments work? We accept cash, credit/debit cards and checks. Payments are due before you can take a class. Monthly membership payments are due the same day each month, depending on your sign-up date. We do require credit card information on file in order to maintain a membership. Payments can be made on the Fitdegree App or in-person.
• Do I need a reservation? Reservations are required and can be made through the FitDegree App, by phone or email. If no students are signed up for a class within 24 hours of the class start time, instructors reserve the right to cancel the class. If you need to cancel your reservation, you must give at least 24 hours' notice to avoid a penalty. Students forfeit one class from their package or membership for a late cancellation.
Leveling Up Your Training
• Can I participate in performances? Yes! We host several student performances throughout the year. Performances require additional classes (rehearsals) and an annual performance fee. Download our Performance Opportunities document with audition & show dates and swing by the office to get started. Email email@example.com with questions.
• Can I sign up for Open Gym? Open gym is for current students & aerial professionals. Request permission from an instructor before attending open gym. Open Gym allows students to train skills they have learned in class. Students must work on skills at their level. Open Gym monitors reserve the right to refuse anyone to practice if they are not working safely. Students may not adjust rigging or change aerial equipment at any time. Students may not request instructors for technical skill training. Students may not co-teach one another in open gym.
• Can I play music on my personal device during Open Gym? Students cannot play music on personal devices during open gym. We recommend you invest in a pair of wireless earbuds for this purpose. Depending on the class, you may be able to use the studio sound system to run a routine, however, it cannot be during a choreography based class. We recommend you contact studio admin if you do not own earbuds, and you need to rehearse a piece with music.
• Do you offer private lessons? Yes! If there are particular skills you want to develop or problem spots you want to tackle or if you feel more comfortable with one-on-one instruction, please inquire in the office or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss private lesson opportunities.
Studio Policies and Information
• Where are you located? The majority of our program is located at 1925 NW 2nd Street, Suite B, Gainesville, FL 32609. Our flying trapeze program is located at Two Hawk Hammock, 17950 NE 53rd ln, Williston, FL 32696.
• Can I take pictures/video during class? Time permitting and with instructor’s permission, students may video themselves executing a move during the LAST 5 MINUTES of class and/or during the 15-minute interval between classes. Do not take pictures/video at any other time during class. Do not take pictures/video of your instructor. Do not take pictures/video of other people during class or open gym without their express permission. Friends and family may not take pictures/video from the waiting area.
• How is GCC protecting students through COVID-19?
This page will be regularly updated – contents are subject to change
Updated October 12, 2022
Currently, per the guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and with Alachua County categorized as a Medium Risk of community transmission. Masks are NOT required.
IF YOU’RE SICK, STAY HOME
Any staff or student that is feeling sick or has symptoms associated with COVID-19, should stay home and be referred to their healthcare provider for testing and care.
Any staff or student that has had prolonged, unprotected close contact with a person who has tested positive for SARS-CoV-2 should stay home and be referred to their healthcare provider for testing and care. Close contact occurs when you have been within 6 feet of a confirmed COVID-19-positive person for more than 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before the start of their symptoms until they have been deemed non-infectious, or having direct contact with infectious secretions from a person with COVID-19 (e.g., being coughed or sneezed on).
Click here to learn more about Covid-19 symptoms.
IF A STUDENT OR STAFF TESTS POSITIVE
If a student or staff tests positive please contact the gym immediately at 352-316-0682 so we may notify anyone that was present when the person was present and conduct extra cleaning of the gym and equipment.
You may return to class after 10 days of quarantine, have had 2 negative tests after quarantine, and no fever is present.
GCC COVID RISK PREVENTION
For your safety, we are proud to announce that all of our staff is fully vaccinated.
In our 6,000 square foot facility, there is plenty of room for social distance. Our aerial equipment is spaced minimum 10’ feet apart and we encourage social distancing when on the training floor.
To stop the spread of COVID-19, along with social distancing and mask wearing, the practice of hand washing at regular intervals is a must, after coughing or sneezing, after using the toilet, before eating and at regular intervals throughout the day. We provide a hand washing station in the restroom and have hand sanitizing stations throughout the gym.
We use bleach wipes or spray on shared equipment after each class and quaternary disinfectant spray on our aerial fabrics. We also have a monthly service of the Electrostatic Disinfectant to sanitize the entire building along with a weekly cleaning service.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK
All staff and students must follow all GCC policies, including health and safety policies and posted instructions while inside of GCC and on the GCC bus.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the CDC, senior citizens and those with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable.
By coming into GCC you acknowledge and voluntarily agree to assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and all strains, mutations and variations thereof, whether known now or in the future, by virtue of your presence.
We want everyone to have the best experience possible at GCC. Our staff are highly trained and follow our code of conduct to ensure a safe, professional and enjoyable experience for all. If you have any conflicts with fellow students or team members, please reach out to our studio administrators to resolve.